- We had a real bad storm last night and lost our power. I went outside and collected all of our solar lights. We had free lights until our power came on. This morning I put the solar lights back outside. They will be ready again when I need them again.
- —Guest dj
Mini Blind Slats
- When your old mini blinds give out, cut them to the length you want (like 10"), write with permanent marker the name of what you have planted, to identify rows or single plants, and stick it into the ground. You will have an endless supply of markers.
- —Guest Sharon
Control of Red Ants
- Red ants are those little red creatures that are painful when they bite your skin and destructive to eggplants, tomatoes and other veggies. You can control them by mixing 2 tablespoons veggie oil, 2 tablespoon baking soda, and 2 tablespoon powdered soap. Mix in 1 gallon water, mix well and spray directly to the red ants. Continue until all are killed.
- —Guest Crisologo
Planting Beans or anything in a PVC Pipe
- I was standing in line one day at a restaurant, and the man was telling me about planting green beans in a pvc pipe. He said to drill holes in it, put potting soil in the pipe, then put the beans in the holes, and the vines would grow out the holes. He said to hang the pipe up and that I could stand up and pick the beans. He said that was the way he grew his garden,
- —Guest dj
- When setting out seedlings, plant them with a toohpick next to the stem. Cutworms must curl their body along the stem to cut it. With a toothpick in the way, they are stymied.
- —Guest Joan102440
Solar Lights Indoors
- Use solar garden lights if you have a power outage - just unscrew tops. Replace next day to re- charge. Works great! No need for candles.
- —Guest Ruby
Passion Flower Vines
- Passion flower vines are wonderful to attract butterflies but when they get out of control, I dig them up and repot in gallon pots. You can either give to your friends or sell to a nearby nursery.
- —Guest roland contreras
Transplanting Veggies from Pot to Plot.
- We all know to dig a hole twice as wide as the soil ball in the pot and slightly deeper. then water well after filling the hole with dirt around the plant. I find that watering in the bottom of the hole before the plant goes in makes a big difference in whether the plant takes. A little potting soil in the bottom helps as well.
- —Guest alice carroll
- My daughter had given me a flower stand that could hold 8 flowers pots. So I brought it in the house, for my seedlings and I wrapped white Christmas lights around it. They are the kind that put off light but don't get hot to touch. If it is cool day, I wrap the stand with a white sheet. The plants love the light, they are growing really well.
- —Guest dj
Spray the roots, not the stem or leaves
- Yes, spraying is a good method but if you want to water or/or fertilize your orchid remember they only take nutrients through their roots, and spraying stems or leaves may prone them to fungi or bacterial infections.
Cinnamon or Potatoes, Slug Killers
- Another good remedy against slugs is to put some cinnamon powder around your plants. Or potato slices (as a slug trap). Both work great. Good luck.
Another Use for Coffee Grounds
- If you are a coffee grounds saver and have problems with pill bugs or slugs eating flowers such as daylilies, clean leaves, etc. away from the plant and just pour a circle of grounds around the plant about 2" wide and they won't cross it. It sure saved my daylily.
- —Guest June
- The best way to water orchids is not by the hose, but by a spray bottle. Every once in a while add orchid fertilizer in the bottle! Orchids do not like to be over watered.
- —Guest Harmonee
- Use hair under low lying plants to ward off slugs and other creepy crawlers. Just spread under the plants edges and viola no slugs. I ask the beauty shops for hair. Cuts down on weeds too.
- —Guest Linda Winfrey
Corn Silk Water
- To make corn silk water: it will take five ears of corn silk for 1 quart of water. Boil for fifteen minutes, strain andput in glass jars. Corn is good for our kidneys.
- —Guest dj