(cucurbita pepo) 80 - 100 days to harvest C. pepo also includes most of the summer squashes as well as gourds)
Acorn squash are dark green with ridges and they actually are shaped like large acorns, tapering to point. The flesh inside is a rich yellow.
Acorn squash continue to ripen late in the season and they are sweetest when they turn almost bronze. Acorn squash are great for baking. At 1 - 2 pounds per fruit, they make about 2 servings.
- 'Cream of the Crop' AAS Winner. Good producer and some pest resistance.
- 'Table Ace'(hybrid, semi-bush; uniform, near black fruit; excellent, low-fiber flesh)
- 'Table Gold' (OP) Compact bush habit, attractive bright golden yellow, may also be harvested as summer squash when light yellow.
- 'Table King' (H/OP) Compact bush derived from Table Queen; dark green, color holds well.
- 'Table Queen' (H/OP) Old fashioned standard dark green acorn type.