Different species of butterflies prefer different plants, but you can be sure of attracting your share of butterflies with the plants in this garden design. The border is meant for full sun, which will also help in attracting butterflies, since their wings need to be warmed, in order for them to be able to fly.
Most of the plants are suitable for a range of hardiness zones, but alternatives are listed. Specifics about each plant follow on successive pages.
- Asclepias tuberosa - Butterfly Weed
- Panicum virgatum (Switch Grass) 'Shenandoah'
- Scabiosa columbaria (Pincushion Flower) 'Pink Mist'
- Coreopsis verticillata (Tickseed) 'Zagreb'
- Heliopsis helianthoides (False Sunflower) 'Karat'
- Veronica spicata 'Sunny Border Blue'
- Echinacea purpurea (Purple Coneflower)
- Asiatic Lily
- Agastache x 'Ava' (Hummingbird Mint)
- Eupatorium maculatum (Joe-Pye Weed ) 'Gateway'
- Glandularia canadensis (Rose Verbena) 'Homestead Purple'