Full sun opens the doors to a full spectrum of plant material. The sunny border design illustrated here runs 24' long and is about 6' deep. It would look lovely against a fence or in front of a hedge. The colors here are minimal, mostly shades of purple and yellow. They can be intensified with stronger hued varieties are by adding more hot colored flowers, like orange daylilies or red phlox.
Most of the plants are suitable for a range of hardiness zones, but alternatives are listed. Specifics about each plant follow on successive pages.
- Buddleia davidii 'Potters Purple'
- Phlox paniculata 'The King'
- Aster novae-angliae (New England Aster) 'Purple Dome'
- Heliopsis helianthoides (Sunflower heliopsis, False Sunflower) 'Golden Plume'
- Hemerocallis (Daylily) 'Hyperion'
- Echinacea purpurea (Purple Coneflower) 'Vintage Wine'
- Sedum 'Autumn Joy'
- Achillea filipendulina 'Coronation Gold'
- Perovskia (Russian Sage) 'Blue Spires'
- Liatris spicata (Blazing Star) 'Kobold'
- Coreopsis verticillata (Tickseed, Threadleaf Coreopsis) 'Moonbeam'