Microwave ovens are a great, quick way to preserve almost everything. You can use the microwave alone, or speed up the process with silica gel, as mentioned on the next page.
- Choose leaves that are still fresh and supple. Avoid dry fallen leaves.
- Sandwich individual leaves or small, flat sprays of leaves between 2 paper towels.
- Place the sandwich on a microwavable dish and place in the oven.
- Microwave for 30 seconds and check the leaves. The thicker and/or moister the leave, the longer it will take.
- If the leave(s) is not yet dry, keep running the microwave at 30 second intervals and checking, until the leaf feels dry.
CAUTION: The leaves could catch fire, just like anything else left in the microwave too long. So keep checking. Don’t wait until the leaves are crisp or scortched. They will keep heating and drying for a few seconds outside the microwave and you don’t want to over do it.