Party favors have gotten out of hand lately. Gardeners can share a piece of their garden with guests and create a simple, quick and inexpensive party favor that is still personal and welcome. Give each of your guests a rooted cutting from your garden or your houseplants. Many plants root quickly and these favors can be done as close as a week in advance. Even if your guests have black thumbs, they'll enjoy having a plant for their desk, if only for a few weeks.
Time Required: Approximately 2 Weeks
- Prepare small pots with potting soil.
- Moisten the soil.
- Take small cuttings of your favorite plants. Good choices for rooting quickly include: coleus, pothos, ivy.
- Dip the tips of the cuttings in water and then in rooting hormone.
- Shake off excess hormone.
- Poke a hole in the potting soil and insert the cutting, trying not to rub off too much hormone.
- Gently firm the cutting in place.
- Water and place in indirect sunlight.
- Decorate the pots just before your part, so they dont get too messy from potting and watering.
- If cuttings intimidate you, check out How to Take Cuttings and see how easy it really is.
- Plan to start your cuttings at least 2 weeks in advance.
- Include a label with the plant name and care instructions.
- Write each guests name on the pot and use them as place cards
What You Need
- Cuttings from your plants
- Small pots or containers
- Potting Soil
- Rooting Hormone (Optional)
- Ribbons or decorations (Optional)