The Bottom Line
- Made of durable plastic.
- No fussing with gravel, screens or whatever.
- Doesn’t fit every pot.
- The bright green color can show-up through the soil, in smaller pots.
- Made of a durable and recyclable polyethylene plastic blend.
- Automatically adjusts to fit standard flower pot sizes: 8 - 14 inches.
- Drainage slits and moisture reservoirs regulate water access.
- Weep holes can be left closed or punctured for more or less drainage.
- Soon to be available in larger sizes.
- Retails for about $4.89 each.
Guide Review - UltraGrow Plant Container Insert
This is such an elegantly simple product. UltraGrow, a container insert from Modern Haus Design Group, has flexible sides that let it fit into a pot in sizes ranging from 8 - 14 inches. It lets excess water drain through or holds it in reservoirs. The amount of water released or held is easily adjusted by punching more holes. Drainage slits prevent water from pooling around roots, while allowing air flow, for root health.
The UltraGrow insert even provides some protection against pill bugs, slugs and other insects that try to hang out in the bottom of damp pots.
Rinse them off when you empty your containers and they’re ready to go again next year. Or leave them in place, for year round containers. They’re not going to decompose. This is one of those times when plastic seems to be the green choice.
NOTE: Since writing this review, I can no longer find a source for UltraGrow Plant Inserts. If you know of one, please let me know. (2/29/12)