For a beginner I would recommend Lilies. There are so many to choose from and once planted they are just about trouble free. Day lilies do get rust, blight and some times leaf miners but not very often. Deer do love Day lilies. I find that the Hybrid lilies once planted, if planted properly, are trouble free. Then you have the toad lily which is great for shade. With the many shades of Cone flowers now, they will be hard to beat too. Submitted by Shelby
I love Hosta as well. They are great here in Ohio. Second is the oriental lily. Submitted by Marchell
- Zones: 4 - 8, depending on species
- Colors: White, yellows, pinks, reds and orange
- Height: 2 - 5' Width: 18" - 2'
- Bloom Period: Summer
- Exposure: Full Sun / Partial Shade
- Notes: There is great variety, even among lilies of the same species. Some require a period of cold dormancy. Many, like the 'Casablanca' Oriental Lily pictured here, are fragrant.