Herb Gardening Essentials
Herb gardening is a treat for all the senses. Whether formally displayed or tucked into a pot or a corner of the vegetable garden, herbs offer the promise of both beauty and function.
Seasoning, dyes, lotions, potpourri, teas... there seems to be no end to what you can do with fresh grown herbs. No packaged product can compete with the aroma of your own lavender or lemon thyme. Herbs grow so easily, they almost grow themselves. The following series of lessons breaks down the basics of choosing and using herbs and of creating a formal herb garden or incorporating herbs into your existing beds and borders.
Indulge yourself with the evocative fragrance and flavors of a whole world of herb plants. The lesson breakdown is below. You can sign up for the course and receive a new lesson each week via email or you can click below on the courses youíre interested in. I hope it is just the beginning of your infatuation with herb gardening.
Lesson 1: What Makes a Plant an Herb?
- Herb Gardening Essentials: Planning and Planting an Herb Garden.
- Featured Herb: Lavender - Versatility
- Using Herbs: Edible Flowers
Lesson 2: Herb Garden Options
- Herb Gardening Essentials: Designing Herb Gardens
- Featured Herb: Basil - Let Me Count the Ways
- Using Herbs: Windowsill Herb Garden
- Small Space Herb Gardening: Strawberry Pot Herbs
Lesson 3: Formal Herb Gardens
- Herb Gardening Essentials: A Formal herb Garden Design Plan
- Featured Herb: Rosemary Grows
- Using Herbs: Companion Planting
- More Info: Pruning Woody Herbs
Lesson 4: Kitchen Herbs
- Herb Gardening Essentials: Growing Culinary Herbs
- Featured Herb: Mint - Savory and Sweet
- Using Herbs: Pairing Herbs with Food
- More Info: A Potted herb Garden (Video)
Lesson 5: Herbs for Dying and Staining
- Herb Gardening Essentials: Dye Herbs
- Featured Herb: Marigold - Beauty and Function
- Using Herbs: Letís Dye Things
Lesson 6: Herbs for Fragrance
- Herb Gardening Essentials: A Scented Herb Garden
- Featured Herb: Lemon Scented Herbs
- Using Herbs: Dried Herb and Flower Sachets
Lesson 7: Tea Herbs
- Herb Gardening Essentials: Growing Herbal Teas
- Featured Herb: Sage - Unexpected
- Using Herbs: Medicinal Uses for Herbal Tea
Lesson 8: Drying and Keeping Herbs
- Herb Gardening Essentials: Drying and Freezing Herbs
- Featured Herb: Thyme - For All Seasons
- Using Herbs: Stepping Outside the Box
- More Info: Drying and Freezing Herbs (Video)
Is your email box being filtered for spam? Don't let your newsletters end up in the trash. To ensure that you receive your mailings, please configure your spam filters to bypass any messages with a from address that ends in "about.com" (ex: email@example.com). For more detailed information, please see our Email GuideSite.