Small Space Garden Design
No space for a garden? What with the swing set, the patio, the tool shed, the dog...
Limited space doesn't mean you can't have a garden. Too often garden design focuses on sweeping borders and expansive acres in the country. Not all of us have that and some of us who do, don't want that much garden. What we do want is a small space to enjoy growing plants that will enhance our homes.
Garden designing requires some imagination. A good eye is always helpful, but the only real way to learn to design garden is by doing it. The aim of these lessons is to get your imagination working and help you hone your eye for what works for you. Each lesson builds on and complements the prior lessons, so that you’ll have the concepts you’ll need to create a small personal garden or gardens in what ever time and space you have.
The lesson breakdown is below. You can sign up for the course and receive a new lesson each week via email or you can click below on the courses you’re interested in. I hope you learn to enjoy garden design and come up with a plan to suit your space and tastes. I’d love it if you would send in photos of your gardens, for the About Gardening Gardeners Gallery.
Lesson 1: The Special Challenges of Designing a Small Garden
- What's Different About Gardening in a Small Space?
- Basic Garden Design Principles
- Garden Structure in Black & White
Lesson 2: Deciding What You Want From Your Garden
Lesson 3: Getting Started with a Plan - Evaluating the Site
- Assessing and Working with the Site
- What Does Full Sun, Partial Shade, Etc.. Really Mean?
- Great Garden Soil: Why it Matters - Making it Great
Lesson 4: Garden Design - Budget & Maintenance
- Thinking about a Budget
- Garden Plants Suitable for Your Garden - USDA Hardiness Zone
- Easy Care, Low Maintenance Perennial Plants
Lesson 5: Focal Points in Small Spaces
- Creating Focal Points in a Small Garden
- Creating Mixed Garden Borders
- Drawing the Eye with Garden Focal Points
Lesson 6: Selecting the Right Plants for the Space
- Choosing Plants for a Small Garden
- What Does Plant Texture Refer To?
- Plant with Great Texture and Interest
Lesson 7: Gardening on Patios and Terraces
Lesson 8: Containers & Small Gardens - A Perfect Match
- Making the Most of Container Gardens
- Choosing and Combining Plants for Containers
- Four Seasons of Plants for Container Gardens
Lesson 9: Small Vegetable Garden, Big Yield
- Vegetable Gardening in a Small Space
- What is The Cooperative Extension System
- Container Vegetable Gardening - Growing Vegetables in Pots
Lesson 10: Front Yards - An Obvious Choice for a Small Garden
- Small Garden Design for Front Yards
- Winter Interest in the Garden?
- Fall Color - Shrubs with Colorful Fall Foliage & Fruits
Is your email box being filtered for spam? Don't let your newsletters end up in the trash. To ensure that you receive your mailings, please configure your spam filters to bypass any messages with a from address that ends in "about.com" (ex: firstname.lastname@example.org). For more detailed information, please see our Email GuideSite.