1. Home

Marie Iannotti

What to Do in the Garden in January

By January 1, 2014

Happy New Year!

Another year, another chance to garden. Here are some gardening tips for the month of January, to get us thinking about being back outdoors, where we belong.

Comments

January 1, 2009 at 8:26 am
(1) Elaine Long says:

They haven”t asked me either. I agree with you about color coordinated gardens. Mine would be denim blue and T-shirt black, blue, green or red. I like old fashioned flowers that smell good. But most of the newer versions are bred for looks, not aroma. If I want daisies, I’ll buy daisies, not something that looks like a daisy. And I believe the world has caught up with gardeners, not the other way round. We take care of the earth, because that is what makes our gardens grow.

January 2, 2009 at 12:16 am
(2) Shirley Bovshow "EdenMaker" says:

I agree with all of the above, plus:

If my landscape design business is an indicator, more people will ask for edible landscapes that will either be tended by them or by professionals. People will put their yards to work for them. No more free rides!
Shirley Bovshow

January 18, 2011 at 8:18 am
(3) container vegetable gardening says:

Thanks for the plastic bag tip Marie. Recently I have been trying the starting seeds in kitchen paper in plastic bags but haven’t used the plastic bag technique to actually cover the plants. Thanks!

January 1, 2012 at 8:07 am
(4) Ginny says:

How to pass the time before we can move to the garden? I always grow basil in my kitchen window. There’s also scented geranium and something called ‘pregnant onion’ I bought at a farmstand. New for me this year….I planted 6 bulbs in containers…didn’t know what they were. And now I have 6 purple hyacinth in bloom! ….didn’t even know you could force them! Happy Gardening in the New Year!

January 2, 2012 at 12:49 pm
(5) Bonnie says:

I had the best New Years day here in northern NJ, it was so warm that I was able to get out my tiller and till the soil. I mixed in leaves and other compost, getting it ready for the Spring. I also planted some tulips so I will have color in the Spring. Quite a bit of difference from last year when we got 20 inches of snow!

January 3, 2012 at 12:34 pm
(6) Marie Iannotti says:

It’s not quite warm enough by me to start tilling, but I did get outside to weed some garlic chives. They stay green all winter, so it’s easy to spot them now. And I feel like I got a head start on spring.

I also started some lettuce indoors, just to have something fresh from my “garden”.