1. Home

Marie Iannotti

It's National Sneak Some Zucchini on Your Neighbor's Porch Day

By August 8, 2013

Did you think I'd forget. Ever since I heard about this very pragmatic annual event, I've made sure to mark it on my calender. This year a groundhog broke through my aging gate and helped me out with the surplus. But even so, I'm sure we'd still all like to tip our hats to Tom Roy, who got Sneak Some Zucchini on Your Neighbor's Porch Day put onto Chase's Calendar of Events and annual holidays.

Here are Tom's tips for getting the zucchini on porches, without getting caught. Good luck, and be careful.

Photo: Marie Iannotti

Comments

August 8, 2011 at 11:22 am
(1) Jenny says:

Would someone please drop some on my porch? I can’t find anyone with any extra, and it is actually pretty expensive compared to other years. Of course it is the first time that I am totally crazy about it, isn’t that how it works? ;-)

August 9, 2011 at 12:21 pm
(2) Marie Iannotti says:

I know exactly how you feel. I forgot to plant zucchini one year and no one – no one had any extras. Of course, that’s no usually the case.

August 8, 2011 at 11:41 am
(3) indio says:

I’ve got plenty of zucchini too, but I’ve been grilling, pickling and freezing all of it. there’s nothing like handful of julienned zukes added to a pot of soup in winter. My chickens are a little miffed that I only share the trimmed off leftovers with them.

August 10, 2011 at 2:19 pm
(4) Sanadana says:

Here is a great way I found to get rid of lots of zuchinni and my kids love it. It was gone in two shakes: I spirilized the zuchinni and any other veggies I have too much of or you can cut then in thin potato chip fashion. Marinate them raw in a blended dressing of Lemon juice, garlic, chili pepper, salt. I left them in for about 15 minutes but you can go longer and I put them in the dehydrator until chewy crispy. I asked my son to try one and at first he hesitated but once he ate the first one, it was a matter of minutes before the rest disappeared. They are really healty and you can come up with your own marinade dressing depending on your likes and how spicy you like it. Note: One zuchinni shrinks down to almost nothing so use a lot of zuchinni if you want more than a small appetizer. Also if you dehydrate no higher than 115 degrees, the enzymes in the vegetable is still alive and considered raw. Very healthy that way.

August 22, 2011 at 4:22 pm
(5) gardening says:

That sounds wonderful! I wonder if they would come out OK in a low oven? I think I’ll give it a try and report back. Oh man, you’ve made me hungry.

August 22, 2011 at 4:45 pm
(6) Sanadana says:

yes, you can put them in a low oven but I have never done that so don’t know how long it will take. You can also try this with kale leaves. I made some kale chips (cheddar flavor) in a dehydrator and my friend and kids went nuts over it. It costs $5/bag (small bag) of kale chips at the store. I have so much kale that this is a great way to get rid of it. (blend 1 cup raw cashews, 1 teasp olive oil, pinch salt, 1/2 cup red bell pepper, 2 Tablespoons Agave Syrup, lemon juice or water to just blend it and make it runny. You can add chilies from your garden (not too hot)). Pour over 6 cups of kale leaves (take out stem and break up into bite size pieces. Work the sauce onto every leaf so get your hands into that mix and mix it real good. dehydrate for 10 hours on 104 degrees and you can’t eat just one.

August 22, 2011 at 4:34 pm
(7) Sanadana says:

I am running out of zuchinni and it is too bad there aren’t people here in San Diego that sneak it on your doorstep. I love it. I went to the store yesterday and happened to see the cost for zuchinni — $2.69/lb. Oh My!!! I’m growing a larger crop next year.

August 22, 2011 at 5:02 pm
(8) gardening says:

Now we all wish we’d grown more. I think you’ve convinced me to get a dehydrator. I may never ‘cook’ again.