1. Home

Marie Iannotti

Lavender Season

By June 18, 2013

My lavender plants are just about to bloom. They don't get very large in my area, but I look forward to them just the same. I know I'm not alone there. Last year I wrote about how many uses there were for lavender and you responded with even more. So I've left the suggestions in the comment section and I welcome even more.  How do you use lavender?

Learn more: Growing Lavender | Lavender Aroma Therapy | Lavender Moth Repellent

Photo: © Marie Iannotti

Comments

July 24, 2012 at 12:06 pm
(1) Jae says:

Lavender is great! You can take the flowers fresh or dried and add to water and spray on sheets or clothes…also acts as a natural starch for ironing clothes!

Lemon Balm…great for anxiety. Add to decaf tea w/honey or by itself is good too. Smells wonderful!

Jenn

July 24, 2012 at 12:36 pm
(2) gardening says:

I never heard the starch tip before. I’ll definitely give it a try.

As for the lemon balm, I guess instead of stressing out because it was spreading throughout the border I should have just sipped it and relaxed. Good to know. :-) It does smell wonderful.

July 24, 2012 at 3:09 pm
(3) Linda says:

Made a sachet of Lavender. Slip it under your pillow in the morning, when you crawl back in that night, the scent will envelope you.
Also, Lavender tea is very relaxing, add a little honey.

July 24, 2012 at 3:23 pm
(4) gardening says:

I wonder how lavender ice tea would be?

That’s a nice idea, to keep the sachet under the pillow during the day and letting the residual scent put you to sleep. A lot of times the sachets are too pungent to sleep on, but that sounds like a good compromise.

July 24, 2012 at 10:21 pm
(5) kmp says:

I love lavender.
I love white wine.
So, the natural result is lavender infused White Wine.
Soak a few lavender buds in a bottle of white wine for at least 24 hrs. in the fridge.

There is nothing better than this chilled concoction at the end of the day.
For me anyway…..

July 25, 2012 at 7:15 am
(6) gardening says:

Lavender wine. Now that’s something I would never have thought to do.

I love the fact that lavender is so intense, you can do most these things last minute, rather than weeks ahead.

July 26, 2012 at 1:49 pm
(7) Anita says:

I am trying a way that I read about of how to extract the oil out of herbs by covering chops herbs (in my case lavender) with vodka for several months in a air tight container, then straining the herbs out and freezing the remaing liquid. After pouring of the alcohol all you should have left is the oil! We’ll see if this works!

July 26, 2012 at 2:25 pm
(8) gardening says:

That’s new to me. I’ll be very interest in hearing how it turns out. How do you pour off the alcohol?

Vodka is strong stuff. The sleeve of my jacket once fell into a glass of vodka at a party. When I went to get my jacket, all the dye had been leeched out of the cuff. I was tempted to try it as a household cleaner.

July 27, 2012 at 9:34 am
(9) Lauren says:

After I dry my lavender tips, I put them in a baggie with some lavender oil and let it sit for a week or so. It gives a stronger and longer lasting fragrance to the sachets. I put them into nylon bags and then into cloth or knitted sachet holders and give them to gifts. My tags have a picture of my lavender plants with a note that says: “Lavender from Lauren’s garden. May your dreams be peaceful.” They have been a big hit.

July 27, 2012 at 12:23 pm
(10) gardening says:

Lauren, I’ve never given a lavender gift that wasn’t a big hit. You must be very popular.

Do you ever add the oil to older lavender, to revive it? I’m wondering if you can harvest it now, for holiday gifts, and wait to add the oil until shortly before you’d be giving them out.

July 31, 2012 at 2:18 am
(11) Celia Lindsell says:

The easiest way to infuse your sheets with Lavender is to add a couple of drops of essential lavender oil into the softener compartment of your clothes washer. Your sheets will come out smelling divine. More details here

June 19, 2013 at 6:24 am
(12) Kary says:

I love to put lavender in my Creme Brule´, my salads, and my Lassi. It just takes a pinch per serving in any of those 3 things and it gives them a lovely flavor in the background.

June 19, 2013 at 12:23 pm
(13) gardening says:

Hmm, I don’t think I’ve ever tried it in a salad. Except a fruit salad. You’re right, a little goes a long way.

June 19, 2013 at 2:47 pm
(14) lisakaye551 says:

I like to hang a few fresh stems of lavender from my shower head to scent the air as I take a shower. This makes the rest of the bathroom smell nice too.

June 19, 2013 at 3:30 pm
(15) Ann Hayes says:

Instead of a hot water bottle, I make a hot sock. Put 1 1/2 cups of uncooked rice in a cotton sock and a few stems of lavender. Tie it up with cotton twine and when you need it, put it in the microwave oven for 60 seconds. Sooths your aches and pains and smells heavenly.

June 19, 2013 at 4:04 pm
(16) John D says:

Lavender shortbread cookies – absolutely yummy!

Three sticks butter
2/3 cups sugar
2 tablespoons lavender
2 cups flower
One cup cornstarch
One teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

In the mixer bowl, beat butter, sugar and lavender until fluffy.

Sift together flour, cornstarch and salt and add to butter mixture. Mix just until dough forms a nice ball.

Roll into a log, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours.

Remove plastic and cut into ½ inch coins. Place coins on a cookie sheet pan and bake until just beginning to brown, about 30 minutes.

We’re in N. California “wine country” – lavender grows GREAT here – big, totally covered with flowers – the air all around is scented.

June 19, 2013 at 4:15 pm
(17) Ann Huebner says:

Last year I didn’t get all the pots cleaned out. One was a pot of lavendar. To my surprise, it grew again this year and is budding.

June 19, 2013 at 6:51 pm
(18) neat stuff says:

I don’t live in USA, I have tried so many times to grow lavender, but cannot get it to grow at all, it’s very hot and humid here, so thought it would, but sadly no.. PLUS we cannot buy it here either..

June 19, 2013 at 10:45 pm
(19) Mary Leach says:

I once read that lavender works well as a mosquito repellent. Though the article gave no real details, I have found that taking a couple of stems with the flowers still on and lightly brushing them across my skin and clothing, mosquitos stay away from me. I use them several times over before just drying them for other uses. Safe for the little ones, too.

June 20, 2013 at 11:22 pm
(20) Dianna McEwan says:

Hi,I live in Invercargill, New Zealand, supposedly the coldest climate in N.Z. My lavender really is fantastic. I have it in a biggish raised garden bed. It is quite prolific, about 3 years old but I have never trimmed it so therefore it is getting quite woody in the middle. I am wondering should I give it a hard haircut or take the majority of it out and start again? Cheers Di

June 21, 2013 at 2:26 pm
(21) gardening says:

Dianna, it should get bushier if you give it a trim, but don’t cut so far in that you have all wood and no leaves. Only cut off about 1/3 of the tips of the leafy stems.

June 21, 2013 at 3:20 pm
(22) gardening says:

Mary, I recently read the same thing and am planning to give it a try. Citronella never worked for me, but I’m hoping I have your success with lavender.

June 21, 2013 at 3:22 pm
(23) gardening says:

Dianna, I think I emailed you a reply, but just in case –

I think a trim would be best, to get the plant to bush out more. Cut about 1/3 off the tips of leafy branches, but don’t cut all the way in to the woody, bare branches.

June 27, 2013 at 2:39 pm
(24) Gloria says:

I like to use lavender when I make ‘wheat bags’ to warm up in the microwave….can be made smaller sizes to use for headaches as well.