1. Home

Marie Iannotti

What Plant Do You Hate?

By September 19, 2011

I'm not talking about weeds and thugs; what perfectly respectable plant do you hate? Be honest. We all have certain plants that we just can't stand the sight of. I'll start. I hate Lamb's Ear and Verbascum. They look like weeds. They're related to weeds. Once their scraggly blooms are done, even the foliage gets ratty. And I have never seen a child get excited about touching the leaves of lamb's ear. Kids like bright flowers. OK, I've said it. Now it's your turn. What plants do you hate?

Comments

September 19, 2011 at 10:40 am
(1) dh-alabama says:

We were commenting over the weekend how much we LIKE our Lamb’s Ear, especially in combination with Purple Heart (Setcreasea purpurea). Lamb’s Ear is one of the favorite plants at my wife’s school’s plant sale because the kids LOVE to rub them.

However, on the other end of the spectrum, Mimosas and Bradford Pears are plants that can be beautiful but I want them at a great distance, in someone else’s yard. Yuccas in open spaces can be nice, especially in flower, but with any trees around, they wind up being leaf catchers that are painful to clean up, particularly Yucca aloifolia. Single flowered Hibiscus syriasis (Shrub Althea) are pretty but with most varieties, you can’t have just one–they reseed too prolifically.

The list can go on and on for every gardener. What we like in our part of the country is despised somewhere else, just like our favorites cannot be comprehended by others. The joy of our own individual gardens.

September 19, 2011 at 2:21 pm
(2) Marie Iannotti says:

Ah, plants we like at a great distance. That’s such a diplomatic way of putting it. I like it.

Maybe it’s the great difference in our climates or just our tastes, but I’m not particularly fond of Setcreasea either, lol. I’ll be traveling to warmer gardens, next year. I suspect I’ll have a change of heart.

September 22, 2011 at 10:53 pm
(3) sweetdahlia says:

Colorado Kudzu!

September 22, 2011 at 12:01 pm
(4) Marilue Funkhouser says:

I too used to hate Lamb’s Ears, until I accidentaly found one that was different. The one I have now never flowers, the leaves are broader and the soft fuzzy feeling ti the touch is still there. It is growing along side the walkway in front of my house and I have had several people stop and ask me about it. Yes, the ones I had before were as you described… just plain ugly, but not this form.

September 19, 2011 at 11:55 am
(5) Roger MacFarland says:

I do not like Angelia. It is a magnet for wasps. They swarm around the plant.

September 19, 2011 at 2:22 pm
(6) Marie Iannotti says:

I hate wasp magnets, too. I’m always amazed at what people will plant around their mail boxes. I wouldn’t reach into half of them.

September 19, 2011 at 12:41 pm
(7) mstacy says:

I can say without a doubt, that I HATE “Bleeding Heart Vine”.
The big, tough, rambling vine, not the dainty little bleeding heart plant. The vine is most invasive (albiet pretty). It tends to take over any ground that it’s roots can travel to, and will strangle anything that happens to be in it’s path! I’ve successfully irradicated it in my backyard, but am currently waging a valient battle in the front of the house! Wish me luck!

September 19, 2011 at 2:24 pm
(8) Marie Iannotti says:

I can fully appreciate that. I have a Dutchman’s pipe that is coming up under my porch and in my garage? I threaten it with my pruners every few months, but I can’t say I hate it. It makes a nice covering.

September 21, 2011 at 9:04 pm
(9) Shelby24019 says:

Marie, you don’t know how hard I have tried to get the Dutchman’s pipe to grow in my garden here in Roanok, VA. I would love to have a rooting of it. I could send you anything I have for a start.

September 19, 2011 at 12:58 pm
(10) angela boland says:

some of my least favourite plants are definitely yuccas and i believe they are called that for a reason. they are yuc and quite unattractive in my opinion. i also cant stand regular,boring ordinary old common hosta. not the interesting, more unusual varietys but the ones most people who are not too interested in gardening are apt to have. arborviates(spelling) and privote and most things that are commonly used for landscaping and used without too much imagination are not appealing to me as they are overused and no thought has gone into using them. people just want to fill space and that is a shame as there is so many interesting plants out there.

September 19, 2011 at 2:28 pm
(11) Marie Iannotti says:

You forgot clipped and shaped yews, the ubiquitous foundation shrub. (Sadly, I kind of like them all neat and trimmed.)

And I have to say, I feel bad for yuccas. They seem to be on everyone’s list. That said, I don’t have any in my garden.

September 21, 2011 at 2:34 pm
(12) Linda Illinois says:

I must be the exception. I love yuccas. My husband hates them and threatens to grub them all out, but I think the creamy white iridescent blossoms are just too beautiful to do without.

September 21, 2011 at 7:20 pm
(13) Linda Leak says:

I also love Yuccas. I have some beautiful pink flowered ones and my friend has a varigated leaf yucca. They love hot summers and very cold winters that we have here in Nevada – and in Oregon too.

September 19, 2011 at 1:12 pm
(14) dot says:

the plants i “hate” the most are hydrangeas and rose-of-sharon. they always take over whatever corner you put them in.

September 19, 2011 at 1:15 pm
(15) DIEHL says:

Beware Trumpet vine. It was choking the dogwood, and sprouts popping up all over my yard. Not some little weed that could be pulled up.

September 19, 2011 at 3:11 pm
(16) Phil says:

I have to agree to a degree. It’s awfully invasive. But it’s not impossible to keep in check, with regular maintenance. Although why tolerate a regular maintenance schedule where there are less combersome choices. So I understand your point, but this is one where I’ll take the good with the bad, for now.

September 20, 2011 at 4:32 pm
(17) Nappe says:

Where do you live? I have just planted 2 trumpets on a fence. live in southwest Washington state. Cold winters, hot dry summers and rainy in-betweens.

September 20, 2011 at 4:28 pm
(18) Nappe says:

Where do you live? I just planted 2 trumpet vines on a fence where the soil is all sand, nothing does well there. I live in southwest Washington State with cold winters and hot dry summers. But rainy inbetween times.

September 21, 2011 at 3:49 pm
(19) DIEHL says:

I live in the Southeast. They should be happy on a fence. I just hope they don’t migrate elsewhere.

September 21, 2011 at 10:36 pm
(20) Tweety says:

My trumpet vine can’t go anywhere as it’s planted between the garage and a concrete wall so the only place it has to send shoots up is behind it in the space, otherwise it’s all concrete!

September 22, 2011 at 9:53 am
(21) gloria f isaacson says:

So you think you are safe! just you wait, that little trumpet vine will sent shooters up on the other side of the garage. It took me 5 years to get rid of my trumpet vine that started on the other side of the paved street in my across the street neighbor’s yard & voila, it appeared in my yard, via a shooter that grew under the paved street.

September 19, 2011 at 1:24 pm
(22) Kat Wolfdancer says:

Lupine! I want to love them, but the powdery mildew traps that they are drive me bonkers. And Ribbon Grass (Phalaris arundinacea) SO pretty for about one half an hour per year, the rest of the year, aggressive dying nuisances.

>^,,^<

September 19, 2011 at 2:01 pm
(23) Laura says:

Photinia! An ugly, ubiquitous shrub that is another one of those landscaper go-to-plants in the Pacific Northwest.

September 19, 2011 at 2:58 pm
(24) Epi13 says:

I’m not sure I could hate any plant. I do get frustrated with certain ones on occasion. And i’m not a big fan of the way cistus smells (and why people keep thinking it’s a nice hardy puget sound plant -lol -oh you and rose of sharon).. I’m a container gardener (as of the moment), and a prodigious plant whore (I love bringing plants back from the grips of death) so I tend to love and care for every species I have -about 150 and counting atm. When I started working in the nursery business my foe was any barberry, but after getting stuck by every barberry that came through the nursery I’ve since learned to love them (and more importantly how to handle them).. My GF doesn’t like Gerber Daisies yet she keeps bringing them home. I think she has the same theory as me. If you don’t like it, you don’t know it well enough (or possibly how to give it the proper care it needs to be a lovable plant).

September 21, 2011 at 12:18 pm
(25) Marie Iannotti says:

How do you handle a barberry? I always seem to be the one who has to weed under them, at our demo garden. The only way I can deal with them is by cursing a lot.

October 1, 2011 at 5:05 pm
(26) Dhee Zhay says:

Like Georgia O’Keefe said It takes time to know a flower like it takes time to know a friend..

September 19, 2011 at 3:05 pm
(27) Phil says:

Bishop’s Weed. It should be banned. Better yet, it should be systematically hunted down and destroyed on a global level. My mom planted it for me as a ground cover, and cover it did. It took three times of digging up the whole bed, going a foot deep in an attempt to get to all the roots, then saturating the bed with round up, and ultimately setting the whole area on fire, and I’m not kidding you, I used a butane torch on the area to finally get rid of it!

September 21, 2011 at 8:09 pm
(28) Jo says:

Amen. So torching it works? So pretty in the spring, dies in the summer. Ugh. Tough enough to grow everywhere, sigh.

September 24, 2011 at 7:43 am
(29) Lynda says:

I have Bishop’s Weed too. It came with the house 7 years ago and because I didn’t know what I was doing the first summer I just let all the perennials grow. I’m still paying for that. What I hate the most about it is that it will come up in the middle of other plants so you can’t get rid of it without hurting something else that is lovely.

September 19, 2011 at 3:57 pm
(30) diane says:

Creeping Charlie! I can’t get rid of it!

September 21, 2011 at 12:22 pm
(31) Marie Iannotti says:

I don’t even consider Creeping Charlie a plant. It’s an alien being. At least Bishop’s Weed is pretty. Unwelcome, but pretty.

September 22, 2011 at 9:05 am
(32) Chanitele says:

I don’t think Bishop’s wee is pretty once it reverts to all green! Mine has creeped all around my whole house and is now all green, no variegation.

September 19, 2011 at 5:02 pm
(33) billie says:

Foxglove. When we moved here it was everywhere and I spent a summer pulling it. 15 yrs later I am still pulling it up.
Drives me crazy when I see someone buying it.

September 21, 2011 at 2:30 pm
(34) Valerie says:

I totally agree about foxglove. I think I mistakenly bought a couple of plants last year, and this year it has totally taken over my garden.

September 21, 2011 at 4:11 pm
(35) Lorie says:

and I can barely keep foxgloves alive!

October 3, 2011 at 7:48 am
(36) Kaz says:

I can not imagine my garden without them!

September 19, 2011 at 5:02 pm
(37) Gay says:

I have to agree with the dislikes of Lamb’s Ear. When we bought our current house the previous owners left us a whole bed of it… I soon ripped it out. I also dislike Peony’s .. the flowers only look pretty for a very short time then dump their petals all over my garden. And I dislike sunflowers… don’t know why, just don’t like them.

September 19, 2011 at 7:56 pm
(38) Virginia's Garden says:

Junipers! They smell like cat pee!

September 21, 2011 at 9:46 pm
(39) Valerie says:

HA HA, Junipers probably smell like cat pee cause cats pee on them along with dogs too. I hate them, wasps love them.

Worst landscaping shrub ever!

September 21, 2011 at 10:18 pm
(40) Claire says:

That’s so funny. I was thinking about some spruce (?) plants that they planted outside the library and how they smell like tomcat whiz. Every time I walk up the library steps I get a whiff and think about how awful it smells.

September 21, 2011 at 10:41 pm
(41) Tweety says:

Agreed! Who needs that?

September 24, 2011 at 8:51 pm
(42) Nicola says:

And why is it, I always find it by the outdoor tables of fast food-type places?! Just what I want while drinking my Dunks brew or eating my McSalad or Blizzard, to inhale cat pee along with it!
The low-growing one is what I always see there (I’ve heard of juniper trees, are they as bad?)

September 19, 2011 at 8:51 pm
(43) scotty says:

Oh boy;Christmas came early for Scotty this year.I get to rant about a certain plant without being scolded.

And look at the responses.Holy smokes.Now I know what to do in the forum.I’ll just ask members what they hate instead of what they love.I guess we all need to moan now and than.

Ok,my turn.

Lily of the Valley that vile weed.Yup.Yes,it has pretty little fragrant flowers but as sirens seduced sailors to their deaths,lily of the valley has lured many unsuspecting gardeners into the mistake of planting it.

Invasive?If we ever do discover life on Mars it will be lily of the valley.The void of space would be no barrier to it.With rhizomes and a root system two feet deep it can’t be stopped.This year it consumed my tulips and daffodils and ate my favourite hosta.Vile weed.

I feel better now.

For those who want to plant it;use a barrier and say a prayer to the God of your understanding.

September 21, 2011 at 12:25 pm
(44) Marie Iannotti says:

Again with the Lily of the Valley? Here’s a quote from Epi13, above,

“If you donít like it, you donít know it well enough (or possibly how to give it the proper care it needs to be a lovable plant).” ;-)

September 28, 2011 at 3:33 pm
(45) gd says:

I love liy of the valley. My Dad hated it. He made me pull out all the ones my Mom had planted. I did not to have to go deep and they never came back.

I lived in the Niagara area of NY state at the time. My sister took some of the plants but they never took.

September 19, 2011 at 9:11 pm
(46) silentarbor says:

I hate roses. So many of them are beautiful. The Knockout Series is especially beautiful. But I hate the smell of most roses. I hate the snipping, clipping, spraying, pruning and did I mention the smell? Have to say that the wild roses smell much better but my goodness – they take over!

September 19, 2011 at 9:29 pm
(47) Sara in Minneapolis says:

Petunias! They smell icky, and you have to deadhead them almost every day or they wither up on you. Your fingers get sticky when you deadhead them, too.

September 21, 2011 at 12:31 pm
(48) Marie Iannotti says:

I loathed deadheading petunias, as a child. Especially after they were rained on and turned to a mushy gel. It took me years to look favorably on them again. (But I still won’t deadhead them.)

September 21, 2011 at 2:32 pm
(49) Linda Illinois says:

I have some that came up volunteer in my peony bed. They have bloomed prolifically all summer with no dead-heading at all. I’m not particularly fond of the smell, but hey, I can’t make a petunia (or any other plant) so I’m okay with it. God must have wanted it there, so I’ll leave it.

September 21, 2011 at 7:03 pm
(50) mgb says:

I was waiting for someone to mention Petunias. I love to look at them in my hanging baskets but oh I hate the feel of them. I have started wearing disposable gloves when I deadhead and trim them. But that said, I will probably plant them again next year for the colors. I do like the fragrant ones, if I can find them.

September 21, 2011 at 11:02 pm
(51) Sarah says:

Disposable gloves! If you feel you need to increase the planetary burden of plastic then the plant is definitely not worth having in your garden!

October 1, 2011 at 5:16 pm
(52) Dhee Zhay says:

hahaha.. peTUNias! i DO hate them!! although, i bet in some forest in the Amazon or Africa they probably grow a woody stem and aren’t so wimpy. also, the wild ones probably have more muted tones than Koolaide!

September 19, 2011 at 10:51 pm
(53) Linda says:

I really dislike Miss Kim lilacs…they are twiggy and the scent of the flowers actually gives me a headache. Once they are done blooming, they look scruffy. I am constantly pruning out dead twigs…yuck!

September 20, 2011 at 12:13 am
(54) 8myveggies says:

Ugh. Mums! The “summer is over and winter is coming” plant.

September 20, 2011 at 12:24 am
(55) Wendy S says:

I agree about mums and summer’s over, plus you plant them and in about 3 weeks they are all dead so doubly depressing!

September 21, 2011 at 12:28 pm
(56) Marie Iannotti says:

I would laugh, if it wasn’t so true.

September 22, 2011 at 7:00 am
(57) Carla says:

Another “summer is over and winter is coming” plant is Prairie Aster. I just HATE seeing it come into bloom!

September 26, 2011 at 10:56 pm
(58) forest eastwood says:

live in Florida, like mums; one of the very few plants I grew in NY and now grow here. Reminds me of football games.
Getting ready to divide mine and replant. Money saver.
I started out liking Lamb’s Ears, then they grew tall and ugly, except if I left the stalks they looked nice covered in snow in upstate, NY.

September 20, 2011 at 12:50 am
(59) Eloy says:

“Hate” is a rather strong word. The only plant that I can relate to hate is poison ivy. Once you come into contact with it you get the dreaded misquito bumps that last about a week to go away. But in the way of flowers, the one that I dislike are those boring hostas that people plant around their tree trunks, they don’t offer any eye appeal to me and I think they are as plain as green grass.

September 20, 2011 at 3:52 am
(60) Laurie S. says:

Iris–sooo many people love them, except me. There were a few planted at my house when I moved in. I left them for a year, but this year I still didn’t acquire the taste for them, so I ripped them out. I feel so much better now!! :o )

September 21, 2011 at 10:16 pm
(61) Claire says:

I don’t like irises either. I don’t know why, they just look scraggly to me.

September 20, 2011 at 12:40 pm
(62) mcc says:

I loathe ordinary Hostas, many ferns, Mother-In Law tongues and most ornamental grasses.

Love Lambs Ears and miss it as it does not grow well on the Central Gulf Coast.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

September 20, 2011 at 1:35 pm
(63) Marie Iannotti says:

“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.” Thank goodness. I’d hate to see the same plants everywhere I go.

But how can you hate ornamental grasses? That’s gardening blasphemy. ;-) Although come to think of it, I can’t stand the small ones, that look like…, well, grass.

September 22, 2011 at 12:59 am
(64) Shari says:

I hate ornamental grasses, too. I mean, they’re just grass. Which I have a yard full of. Pampas grass is ok, but I understand that it can be invasive in many areas, and it only looks good with the fluffy heads on it.

September 22, 2011 at 1:22 am
(65) Bev says:

I’m chuckling at most of these comments. I can’t get anything to grow well. I look for the most invasive plants just so something will grow. But, I also am not fond of ornamental grasses, or regular grass for that matter. What a waste. That grows and is invasive, too.

September 20, 2011 at 4:38 pm
(66) Nappe says:

Vinca minor is not pretty with its invasive purple blooms and tough viney spreading habit. It will take over anything it can. Mowing is the only way to control or manage it. That will get ride of it temporarily, but if you forget to mow, up they come again. I don’t use herbicides. Despicable plant. Where: Bonneville, WA on Columbia River.

September 21, 2011 at 4:15 pm
(67) Lorie says:

still trying to get rid of mine after 6 years. That and Virginia Creeper should be outlawed too. It’s beautiful until you want to get rid of it….another one I’ve been trying to get rid of for 6 years!

September 20, 2011 at 7:45 pm
(68) Tammi says:

Black Eyed Susan is my plant to dislike. They take over and are very rough and scratchy. The eaves always look nasty as well.

September 21, 2011 at 9:31 am
(69) Kwergin says:

Yuccas aren’t remotely attractive to me, and they are so tough to get rid of. I also don’t like rhododendrons, which are thrown in around so many new home foundations and just look gaudy to me. Hedges of any sort don’t appeal to me, either. Wow, I sound like an old crab. :) Oh, and pachysandra…it looks like a plain old weed.

But there are so many I like and love…really.

September 21, 2011 at 12:34 pm
(70) Marie Iannotti says:

Isn’t it funny how once you get started, you realize there are a lot of plants you could live without? Nothing wrong with that. I love to eat, but there are plenty of foods I won’t touch.

September 21, 2011 at 2:23 pm
(71) John says:

I hate the trumpet vine campsis radicans. I planted one twenty years ago and now I have them everywhere. They cannot be killed! The plant is almost as bad as a sumac. I planted one of them and after several years wound up with 105. I finally won that battle but the trumpet vine is still here.

September 21, 2011 at 2:26 pm
(72) Jennifer says:

Most of the plants I dislike are for reasons of overuse more than anything. I’m not a fan of Crape Myrtle for that reason. I live in Houston, and it’s everywhere! And then you just end up with dead stuff all over the place when the blooms drop off. I also don’t care for Purple Heart. It’s maybe not quite as overused as crape myrtle around here, but I just don’t like it. Maybe in the right planting combination, but generally whenever I see it, it just looks kind of sloppy.

I’m also not a fan of Chinese Tallow trees, but that is because they’re horribly invasive in Texas.

September 21, 2011 at 2:44 pm
(73) gary says:

you do not sound native to texas

September 21, 2011 at 2:36 pm
(74) Linda Illinois says:

My least favorite plants are the “little green meatballs” people plant along the foundations of their houses. Pathetic little blobs of vegetation. . .

September 21, 2011 at 3:49 pm
(75) Kathryn says:

Linda, I’m intrigued. What is the name of the “little green meatballs”???

September 21, 2011 at 2:36 pm
(76) Kathryn says:

Chinese Lantern Plant. My neighbour planted it in her yard and now it has taken over the small plot at the side of my house where I used to plant tomatoes and beans. Keep pulling and digging at it but the damn stuff won’t die.

September 21, 2011 at 2:38 pm
(77) DAV says:

Honeysuckle, it will take over everything in it’s path if not pruned or trimmed on a regular basis, and is a magnet for bumblebee’s, which I am all for, however, one really neads to be on the watch so as not to get stung.

September 21, 2011 at 2:46 pm
(78) gary says:

gladiolas, irises, et. that no longer bloom and having to wait for new growth to mature to bloom

September 21, 2011 at 2:59 pm
(79) Lea says:

What I would love to get off my chest is how much I cannot STAND bamboo. I mean WHAT was I thinking planting bamboo out by our goldfish pond? I’m now kicking myself black n blue. It’s totally taking over and is my mortal enemy! It must be right up there with Phil’s Bishops weed. My husband is ready to fire up his bulldozer and do away with the whole backyard.

September 21, 2011 at 3:03 pm
(80) Rob says:

My plant to ‘ Hate’ has to be Hypericum calycinum ( Rose of Sharon).
It self seeds everywhere plus when you try to dig it up the roots go down for ever !

It should be banned in gardens and limited to the desert regions of the planet. Problem is it would probably like it there !!

September 21, 2011 at 11:41 pm
(81) jane says:

2 different plants altogether…i’m guessing from the description that you’re referring to rose of sharon (althea rosea)

September 28, 2011 at 2:35 pm
(82) Rob says:

Hi Jane

They might be 2 different plants in your part of the world but across the ‘Pond’ Hyperericum calycinum is listed as Rose of Sharon.

Over here Althea rose is called a hollyhock. Now there is another candidate to hate. Full of scruffy rust infested leaves. ‘Yuck’!

September 21, 2011 at 3:04 pm
(83) David says:

Bergenia – ICK! I’m not too fond of those blue and pink big mop-headed hydrangeas, either. They look like freak cabbages wearing bathing caps.

September 21, 2011 at 11:36 pm
(84) jane says:

i’m afraid i’ll always see that image now, when i look at a hydrangea. taking a page from madonna, are we???

September 21, 2011 at 3:23 pm
(85) TrishK says:

I do not like the Dusty Miller that always looks grey and dreary to me. I am sure it looks great in with many other colorfulplants but not in my gardens!

September 21, 2011 at 3:24 pm
(86) Jennifer says:

Bluebell and buttercup. I can’t get rid of either no matter what I try. The former attracts bees and the latter is poisonous. I spend hours every spring trying to just fight these pests back to a draw, and then my friends in CA say “but they have such pretty flowers.” then come on up and take the lot!

September 21, 2011 at 3:29 pm
(87) Charlie says:

I hate roses, but then I am very, very allergic to them.

September 21, 2011 at 3:38 pm
(88) Whiskers says:

Oh, I’ve had such a good chuckle here!

Pyracantha is my “weed” of choice. Mom planted several and I hate the thorns and they are a ratty looking plant. She liked the berries.

And I have a barberry that I can relate to. Pruning roses is a picnic compared to pruning the winter kill out of the barberry.

And the other beastie in my yard comes on 4 legs–deer! I have my own herd–they just stand there an look at you with a “what’s yer problem woman?” expression.

September 21, 2011 at 3:54 pm
(89) *the often frustrated gardener* says:

Azaleas, since it seems like everyone and their dog has one around here.

English ivy, since it seems like a never-ending battle to get rid of it.

September 21, 2011 at 4:05 pm
(90) Donna, Ohio says:

I live in the country. I HATE STINGING NETTLE. I’m not sure what reason this plant was started.

September 21, 2011 at 4:58 pm
(91) Willa says:

Me too, but, and you won’t believe this unless
you try it, if you steam nettles and or stir fry
them they are delicious and do not sting. They
make a great omelet and are filled with vitamins.

September 21, 2011 at 4:56 pm
(92) willa says:

Hosta – for me it is never uplifting, always a downer,
and I find it ugly the only exception is the dark
blue green leaved one with white flowers but that it because it so different from the scratchy scraggly oddly proportion
other hostas!

September 21, 2011 at 5:39 pm
(93) ginny says:

I hate morning glories, yellow lantana and bergamot.

September 21, 2011 at 5:44 pm
(94) Butchrgt says:

Dollar weed! It is one of the most evasive plants in Florida! Last year decided to have a small veggie garden in the ground and away from planting in pots. Big mistake! I worked very hard at my age (74) to clear a small area about 10 feet by 25 feet of all grass, weeds and plant life! I started off real good, the plants that I planted all began to yeild the fruit of my labor small vegetables were appearing just as planned. Then I noticed the heat was allowing the dollar weed to sneak into my plot. I began to pull these evil weeds, and it became more than I could control. Before you know it the weed took over my green and yellow bean patch. I got angry and started to pull these weeds and the runner roots travelled further than a freight train! LOL! Before you know it they took over a large portion of the garden, and it was impossible for me to maintain in the heat of SW Florida. The weeds won, and my rewards for the labor were very little. The dollar weed is very difficult to remove, since you can’t spray weed killer as it will also destroy the veggy plants. Solution: Back to my Planters, much easier to maintain, and still get the reward only on a smaller scale. “Dollar Weed is the worst evasive plant, hands down!”

September 21, 2011 at 5:46 pm
(95) Barbara Bove says:

I detest peas. I don’t like the way they smell or anything about them.

September 21, 2011 at 6:53 pm
(96) Norma says:

I don’t own any land but sure have seen my share of plants and have grown some to boot..well for some reason some folks love those canna plants. The blooms although pretty seem to dissappear quickly and the whole plant looks ragged to me. It is like this is the last place canna wants to be ..here in NW Florida. I finally quite fighting dollar weed with such verocity.

September 21, 2011 at 7:01 pm
(97) Donna Shope says:

Most members of the morning glory family! They are thugs that take over by fierce reseeding. Lavender moonvine is the worst! White moonvine is the only member I will allow in my yard. But I’m still trying to eradicate others.

September 21, 2011 at 7:24 pm
(98) Ingrid says:

I absolutely hate Kale. It’s a cool crop and grows very well where I live.. about an hours’ drive from Alaska. Everyone raves about this vegetable and it’s said to improve after the frost. Everyone, but yours truly, grows it here because it does do so well. I take comfort in the fact that not even the bears like it!!

September 21, 2011 at 7:44 pm
(99) Barb says:

Trumpet Vine and Morning Glory – I cannot get rid of either – a losing battle!

September 21, 2011 at 8:07 pm
(100) Cathy says:

Chinese sumac, aka “Tree of Heaven.” I call it, “Tree from the Other Place.” People like it for the shade (of which we get very little in the desert), but it kills off nearby plants and is impossible to dig up – just makes more suckers.

September 21, 2011 at 9:36 pm
(101) Valerie says:

OH, those darn “Tree’s of Heaven”

Trash trees and they come up everywhere, Very brittle branches break off in a strong wind and those awful seeds!

September 21, 2011 at 9:12 pm
(102) Alma Midgett says:

“Hate” is a very strong word, but “Four-o’clocks” refuse to stay where you put them and quickly become weeds in South Texas. One or two are beautiful, and look great the first year, but when they take over your whole yard next year they lose their appeal! And the “potato” they form as a root is NOT easy to dig up if they get established.

September 21, 2011 at 9:41 pm
(103) Valerie says:

Two come to mind. The little white daisy like flowers my mom called “Fever Few” I think thay are a cammomile as well.
hard to pull out of the ground a reseed profusely.

The other one that reseeds and looks horrible at the end of the summer is the “Batchlor Button!”Been fighting these 2 for years.

September 21, 2011 at 9:59 pm
(104) Shelby24019 says:

Well, I don’t know where to start! There are very few plants I dislike, don’t hate any of them. But my neighbor that lives down wind from me did have a Mimosas and a Rose of Sharon. They were finding their way into my gardens terrible. Their son moved into the house and has cut the down. You couldn’t pay me to plant either of these!!

I have some Gooseneck Loosestrife and I love it when in bloom. But it was taking over where I orginally planted it. I had an area out back that I put plants for a temporary homes. I moved it into this area and regardless of how much it spreads it has the room.

For the past two years my tall garden phlox has drove me crazy! It reseeds and covers up the shorter plants. Then this summer my Echinacea flowers were 4ft tall and completely covered my shorter plants in that bed. So if I took out every flower that got out of hand I would lose some of my favorites. Instead, I dig them and send them to friends in exchange for postage.

I have sent plants to Africa, Canada and the UK. So what you hate might just be welcomed by someone else. It seems the more I give away, the better mine grow.

September 21, 2011 at 10:14 pm
(105) Claire says:

There are a couple of plants that I hate. One is Easter lillies. To me, they are funeral flowers and remind me of funerals. I also hate cilantro because I have no luck whatsoever with it, even though I grow a lot of herbs really well.

September 21, 2011 at 10:20 pm
(106) claire says:

I just thought of another one . . .aloe vera. I love the fact that it’s useful, but when you cut it, it looks like crap for a long time.

September 21, 2011 at 10:39 pm
(107) Tweety says:

I dislike Russian Sage. Although it can be beautiful close up while in full bloom, at all other times it looks like a huge tumbleweed to me!

September 21, 2011 at 10:40 pm
(108) Holly says:

I dislike Impatiens…they are boring boring boring! I suppose I could stand them if they were matched up with some fabulous combination….but other than that, BORING!

September 21, 2011 at 10:56 pm
(109) Sarah says:

Petunias. Smelly and sticky. Some of their colours can be impressive and they’re easy, but the smelly and sticky gets me and of course the fact that you see them EVERYWHERE because… they’re easy and cheap.

September 21, 2011 at 10:57 pm
(110) Rosanna says:

I have a love /hate thing going on with the periennial bachelor button. It get’s in my grass and just grows all over my perienial garden. I’m always pulling and thinning. On the other hand I like looking at it especially in the spring and fall. It flowers for me all the time.

September 21, 2011 at 11:10 pm
(111) Sarah says:

Well well – all of us gardeners, presumably, all in love with plants and the earth that they grow in, and so many filled with rage it seems. It’s fun to read these comments, but a little sad too. Let’s all be a bit generous, even to the plants we don’t like eh?

September 21, 2011 at 11:27 pm
(112) Mary Catherine says:

Gardenias…Leaves are always dropping/turning colors/drying up.

September 21, 2011 at 11:32 pm
(113) jane says:

red annual salvia….uck uck uck! such a wonderful plant family, but that stodgy old grandma should be thrown out with the toilet-paper covers…such an old-lady plant! dreadful color that goes with almost no other, and terrible form. when you could have annual blue, or guarantica, or pineapple sage, or best of all, mexican bush sage, WHY would you intentionally grow red annual salvia??

September 21, 2011 at 11:56 pm
(114) Charles Harry says:

Mexican petunias or ruella comes in late and stays a long time, adding with roots and seeds. Once started-they like to be apermanent part of your yard. Trumpet vine, morning glory, have bee mentioned and how about those fake poinsettas.

September 21, 2011 at 11:59 pm
(115) Allison says:

Privet is the bane of my life in central CA, and I couldn’t believe it when my city actually PLANTED it as a street tree/bush is some areas! It reseeds all over town, and many are terribly allergic to it when it blooms. I am constantly pulling the seedlings out of my garden.

Sourgrass is another weed-gone-wild in CA and nearly impossible to get rid of once in comes in with other plants. The rhizomes are everywhere and its only virtue is that it dies out above ground in the summer months.

September 22, 2011 at 12:51 am
(116) Shari says:

Honestly, and yes I know it’s a weed (but the Colonialists considered it an decorative plant and planted it deliberately), the plant I hate the most is poison ivy. No matter how many plants I kill, more spring up. And I’m terribly allergic to it. Hate, hate, hate.

Playing along though, I think that the plants I don’t like that aren’t “weeds” would have to be boxwoods. Or some other similar evergreen plant. They’re ubiquitous, they’re overdone, and they do little for the yard. They don’t have any flowers, they don’t have any fruit, they have no fall foliage, they just sit there. Every yard has one, neatly trimmed, because it’s what you’re supposed to do, and it fills a space without having to put in too much thought.

September 22, 2011 at 12:53 am
(117) Shari says:

Oh yes, I forgot… Pachysandra. The bane of my backyard. For some reason, people love it out here. The house I bought came with it pre-planted, and despite the fact it’s supposed to be polite and non-invasive, it grows all over the place. I’m constantly pulling it out. And it’s ugly to boot.

September 22, 2011 at 5:53 am
(118) sophie says:

I hate goose neck loosestrife. It takes over any place it is planted and you can never get rid of it. I am still getting sprouts coming up years after I dug it up.

September 23, 2011 at 3:59 pm
(119) Veronica says:

I totally agree, was waiting to see someone list this one as I went through the list. SO sorry I ever planted (much less paid for) this, primarily because of the very invasive roots system.

The mint that hitched a ride with a big clump of siberian iris is a real thorn in my side too. It’ll never be gone.

So much fun to see how strongly some people about some plants.

September 22, 2011 at 6:50 am
(120) Carla says:

I tell you, I just cannot tolerate Obedient Plant or Snow on the Mountain.
I planted them in my gardens, and they did well for the 1st couple of years, looking good. Then….they were all over the place! I can’t get rid of them! They pop up here, there, and everywhere! Snow on the Mountain is particularly bad, it even resists Round-Up. Now, if I buy a plant, or someone gives me one, I check to see if it spreads easily. If so, I don’t want it!

September 22, 2011 at 9:01 am
(121) Chanitele says:

I would have to say the volunteer Maple seedling as well as the Black Locust runners, I have them coming up everywhere!

September 25, 2011 at 12:07 am
(122) Nicola says:

Not realizing what I was doing 3 years ago, I located my Square Foot Garden beds almost under the huge sugar maple; it looked like a previous tenant had done the same. So now I have to weed many, many little maple tree-wannabes every spring-and-summer.
I have had the thought that perhaps if I just gave up on gardening, and started a little tree farm, my life would be so much easier. But I so enjoy my lettuces, tomatoes, wggplants, etc.

September 25, 2011 at 12:13 am
(123) Nicola says:

^
yes, that was supposed to be Eggplants.

September 28, 2011 at 3:06 pm
(124) Whiskers says:

Oh, I have to agree on the maple seedlings. Not a one of the “blessed” little things doesn’t germinate. Spent three days a couple of years ago, on hands and knees, pulling up all the little sprouted darlings one spring. What a pain!

September 22, 2011 at 10:41 am
(125) Jo-Ann says:

I hate sago palms!! Here in New Orleans, they are everywhere and so many people plant them incorrectly. These can grow into HUGE plants in only a few years, easily 6′ tall & wide. Folks have a tendency to plant these cute little 1′ plants along the sidewalk & on both sides of the entrance. Before you know it, your sidewalk and entrance are overcrowded with these very prickly fronds.

September 22, 2011 at 10:44 am
(126) emmagins says:

Sumac. I HATE Sumacs, and my apologies to anyone who loves it, but I am all for the world extermination of it!

Also it’s kind of neat to see all the names of these plants, half of them I have never heard of and would love to be able to grow here up north! :)

September 22, 2011 at 12:13 pm
(127) Pat B says:

Hostas!!! We get these horrible GIANT SLUGS with them, and I hate even little slugs. When we first bought our house there were hostas everywhere, and giants slugs that we would pick off by hand by the score every night because I couldn’t stand to pour salt on them or some other horrid things people did. I got rid of them all and will not even plant ONE due to my memories of those dreaded slugs!

September 30, 2011 at 9:34 am
(128) JenB says:

OMG! I hear ya. When I bought my house hostas were everywhere and as soon as I discovered what a slug magnet they were they were dug up and thrown into the compost pile. Oddly enough I have one now in one of my flower beds and I have no clue how it got there. Right now the only thing that has saved it is it does have beautiful purple blooms. But, it too will be dug up soon. I also have English Ivy that grows and grows and grows under the deck and I can’t reach it very well until it comes out where I can get to it. Lastly, I know it’s not a plant, but I can’t stand Bermuda Grass. I spent the first couple of years here amending the soil in the lawn and planted Tall Fescue as it grows well here in Maryland. Then I discovered that my neighbor’s lawn is mostly Bermuda and it has invaded my lawn and flower beds in a big way. It has to be pulled out as there is no safe way to kill it and not the rest of the grass. Plus it looks horrendous in the winter, an ugly brown color on a lawn is not attractive.

September 22, 2011 at 4:06 pm
(129) Bea says:

Oh My, I’m a new gardener with my 1st home and after reading the comments I’m scared to try anything (lol)

September 22, 2011 at 4:59 pm
(130) gardening says:

Oh, I hope not Bea. I’m glad you’re laughing. It’s more of a love/hate relationship than straight out hate. At least with most of these plants. I’m sure in a couple of years you’ll come back with a few of your own to add. ;-)

September 23, 2011 at 4:01 pm
(131) Veronica says:

Oh no don’t be discouraged! For the thousands of beautiful plants, one aggravating one shouldn’t scare you away. And gardening can be so rewarding – even something as tedious as weeding, you get a great result when you’re done. (Unlike, say, dusting.)

September 22, 2011 at 9:28 pm
(132) lynda says:

MORNING GLORIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the worst and CREEPING CHARLIE!!!!. hate both of them

September 22, 2011 at 9:29 pm
(133) Vivian says:

I hate forsythia. Hate it! Hate it! Hate it!

September 22, 2011 at 11:42 pm
(134) Valerie Gillman says:

Bergenia. It just looks like lettuce!

September 22, 2011 at 11:47 pm
(135) Valerie Gillman says:

I forgot two that I hate because they are used way too much by unimaginative landscapers-daylily “Stella D’ Oro” and Bradford pears(this one even smells bad when in bloom.)

September 23, 2011 at 4:06 pm
(136) veronica says:

I forgot about those Stella D’Oros! What an ugly indecisive muddy color. If you want a long blooming day lily Happy Returns has a much prettier color and a more delicate flower.

September 23, 2011 at 5:45 am
(137) Dot says:

I cant stand Mother-in-laws tongue, yuk!

September 23, 2011 at 8:34 am
(138) inda says:

I dislike iris and although the blooms are lovely the upkeep is not worth it. They need to be divided and what a job. The foilage is ugly after they bloom and they take up a large amount of my flower garden. They get diseases in their foilage and are just an eyesore. Out they go this fall. Thanks

September 23, 2011 at 7:05 pm
(139) Kathie Norris says:

Oh Boy! Lots of responses for this one!
Laurie S, I agree with you about Iris–after blooming they look like junk and ugly. I plant gardens for my complex and can’t tell you how many say, “please plant Iris.” Noone offers to take care of them and clean them up though.
Okay then, 1 any type of Yarrow, 2 Irish Moss (which is as close to a weed as any I can think of, 3 Yucca’s.
And a container overdone and lifeless Spike.
But Oh, isn’t Fall a magic time in the garden?
Makes my heart sing with Joy!

September 24, 2011 at 4:46 am
(140) Nicole says:

I hate Russian Sage. Big messy plant. Attracts every bee in the neighborhood. Took 3 years to finally kill that stuff. Dug it up each time. The smell is terrible…sage?

September 25, 2011 at 12:50 am
(141) Michelle says:

I agree with the Russian Sage comment, and it smells like an old folks home. But I really can’t stand Lady’s Mantle in a garden. The leaves look horrible and the flower isn’t worth the ugliness of the plant in general.

September 28, 2011 at 6:36 pm
(142) Lizbatty says:

LOL!!! It DOES smell like an old folk’s home!!!!

September 25, 2011 at 4:25 pm
(143) tredling says:

goose neck loosestrife

September 25, 2011 at 4:42 pm
(144) Marlene Atwell says:

Hostas–they’re everywhere.

September 26, 2011 at 9:54 am
(145) Chris, WI says:

I agree with the comments about Stella d’Oro day lilies. You plant a few and before you know it you have a garden bed full. Also, what’s with those seed pods? And after a hot summer, to make them look decent (and bloom again) you have hours of pulling flowerless stems and yellowed leaves. Very work intensive and definately over planted!!!

September 27, 2011 at 11:31 am
(146) Catlady3 says:

I hate coral berries – my grandmother planted them because the red berries and shiny leaves look good when nothing else does. However they have reproduced astronomically and nothing seems to eat them.
I must include mimosa trees as well – the neighbor had one 30 years ago he was too cheap to cut. It was on our border. He had it girdled, but that didn’t stop it from seeding on our side first. They’re hard to kill and lots more seeds coming…argh!

September 28, 2011 at 2:11 pm
(147) MJ says:

I hate Maltese Cross, I hate that the leaves are exactly across from each other and the color is awful. I got in a package of wild flower seeds and I can’t get rid of it.

October 1, 2011 at 4:52 pm
(148) Dhee Zhay says:

Interesting comments! Someone said All the plants commonly used without imagination in so many yards – couldn’t agree more. A lot of you said Yuccas: don’t like them either, although I was struck by one I saw in peak bloom earlier this summer. Photinia – looks so out of place in the Pacific Northwest. The bright red leaves are too colorful and garish for our gardens and if you don’t clip them they become very ugly. I’m not a Native Plant Nazi but I DO feel that exotics (plants from ANYwhere else) should LOOK like they belong – the colors, leaf shapes, and habit should be similar enough to our Natives so that they don’t apPEAR exotic. As someone said, the plants we hate are loved somewhere else. So, for me, yucca and photinia are ugly HERE. In Arizona I would plant the yucca and I’m sure somewhere else I would plant a photinia hedge. Raised near the mouth of the Columbia, my most treasured memories are of the forests where I spent countless hours. Naturally, I love ferns, trillium, huckleberries, and salal as well as plants that Look like they could be native – hostas come immediately to mind. On the other hand, some natives – rhodies in particular – are ugly as they are used. To see a rhodadendron in the wild for the first time, having only seen them clipped and set against the foundations of every house in the neighborhood, its branches sprawling toward the light beneath the forest canopy, is a revelation. But planted next to the house I would put the exotic camellia ANY day over the rhodie.. And indeed, junipers DO smell like cat piss; I had never heard anyone else say that! And who dislikes the iris?? Is there another plant that more embodies the properties of male/female than the iris? Iris, to me, is like our very own orchid. I think it is maybe naturalized and not native, but I love it anyways and it appears as if it belongs..

December 10, 2011 at 2:44 am
(149) Noreen Gruber says:

Sweetpeas, planted seeds, only one came up from the entire package. First year it was great, till the seedpods came, being young didn’t know, I pulled them out and the vine was taller and twice the girth. Then, it was all over the place and you can’t pull them out. Well, I started digging, and that went on for an entire weekend. My husband, came out a few days later and asked what I was doing and to watch out some animal has been digging there. I nearly screamed with laughter, I told him and he dug off and on the next weekend and we discovered there was a log the size of a twenty year old tree laying there with the sweetpeas coming out in all directions. Two gallons of round out and then, I decided to put charcoal and burn it out, but watched it as it was growing by the foundation. After 15 years I am pulling suckers up all around the back of the house and side. Johnny Jump Ups, they grow all over the place and bloom.

December 10, 2011 at 6:09 am
(150) Marie Iannotti says:

I have never had sweet peas reseed themselves, but you paint quite a picture!

January 6, 2012 at 11:10 pm
(151) Dave Condon says:

I am looking for the branches of Rose of Sharon. Cut into about 10 inch pieces they make wonderful O scale (1:48) logs.

April 20, 2012 at 9:02 am
(152) Julie says:

I base my dislikes on plants that are straggly or invasive in my garden, here in the Mid-Atlantic. We moved house to escape our trumpet vine experience (just kidding, but we were pleased to see the back of it!), and hack back yucca as often as possible which never seems to bloom, it just spreads. I have an anonymous plant that was sent to me by a gardening “friend” from another part of the country with no warning of invasiveness which is low to the ground and evergreen in winter, and then grows to about 4″ in Spring and shoots just one stem up with multiple buttercup-like flowers on it in early summer. It is beautiful when it blooms, but it seeds itself like wildfire. I enjoy it where it is (all flower bed full of it!), but find myself digging it up in all areas of the yard. If I can find the name I will post it here….. gardeners beware and also beware of good deed gardeners offering free plants – know it before you plant it! Liriope and orange (sorry no cultivar name) daylilies which need dividing very regularly to keep them under control are also on my list. I dislike Sassafras trees (and funnily enough rootbeer which is made from it) which have agressive runners here and is a very brittle wood, always breaking limbs. Lots of daisy type flowers and Black Eyed Susan seem very straggly when not in full flower. I have bamboo and have reduced it to 1/4 of its original clump, but I am willing to dig around the mound regularly in order to keep a nice screen between my house and the neighbours. When I get too old to keep it behaving it will be on my list and out it will come!!!!

April 24, 2012 at 4:59 pm
(153) gardening says:

What a great idea, moving to escape trumpet vine! It sounds like you have a lot of divas in your garden. I suppose we all do, but we’re probably not as aware of it as you are.

Kudos to you for managing bamboo so well. I love it too, but I’m getting lazy and have to keep it potted.