1. Home

Marie Iannotti

Drying and Storing Garlic

By July 19, 2011

I've said it before and almost proved it again - it's easy to forget about your garlic plants. Most of us put them in the ground in late fall, just before the ground disappears for the winter. Since garlic requires so little care, you may not notice it again until the leaves start to turn brown, telling you it's ready to harvest.

So your garlic bulbs are signaling that they are done growing. Now what? Fortunately garlic is as easy to harvest as it is to grow. Probably the hardest part of digging up your garlic is making sure you don't slice through it. Even if you do, you can still clean it up and eat it. It won't store well sliced, but you have to sample your hard work anyway, right?

I've always considered this a good time to remember to order my garlic for next fall, too. Of course, you can save some cloves from your harvest to re-plant. But if you want to try something new, get your order in soon, so that it's delivered in time to plant. My favorite place to order garlic is Seed Savers Exchange. They have a great selection.

Comments

July 22, 2009 at 1:07 am
(1) Shirley Bovshow "EdenMaker" says:

Hi Marie-
You are right about “forgetting the garlic.” I’ve done this a couple of times but the scent reminds me that it is there!! It get’s lost sometimes in my intensely planted garden.
shirley

July 26, 2009 at 8:05 am
(2) Marie Iannotti says:

At least garlic cuts you some slack, unlike zucchini. Although, wouldn’t it be nice if other vegetables kept growing to enormous sizes like zucs?

July 27, 2010 at 4:45 am
(3) deeba says:

Would you know how to make garlic powder. Maybe with a dehydrator?

July 27, 2010 at 8:12 am
(4) scottyblue says:

deeba,yes you can use a dehydrator and than grind it.Here is a link,

Feel free to post questions in the gardening forum as well as Marie can not always check the comment section right away.

Cheers

July 27, 2010 at 12:56 pm
(5) gardening says:

I would never have thought to make my own garlic powder. Thanks for the idea — and the link.

February 22, 2011 at 7:37 am
(6) M.Charlot says:

Thanks for recommending Seeds Savers Exchange.

July 20, 2011 at 12:49 am
(7) Eloy says:

I hope the garlic seeds I planted grow. I tried bears garlic and mouse garlic with no luck here in Pennsylvania. So I’m trying twistedleaf garlic now which is suppose to be good for my climate here, twistedleaf garlic is hardy to growing zone 4-8.

July 21, 2011 at 1:09 pm
(8) gardening says:

If bears garlic is ramps, I started growing that myself, a few years ago. I found a potted clump for sale, rather than start from seed. I’m told seed can take 3 years to germinate, so don’t lose faith. But mouse and twistedleaf are new to me. I’d love to hear if the twistedleaf does well for you.