1. Home

Even people who forgive Bambi and Thumper for eating their plants have no tolerance for Mr. Mole. Moles make a mess of your garden and yard by tunneling in every direction and pushing up volcanos of soil every time they want to sneak a peek above ground. About's Landscaping Guide, David Beaulieu, has some suggestions for mole control; from plants that deter their tunneling to much harsher methods. If you're tired of sinking into the ground as you walk across the lawn or you've been spotted once too often doing the mole stomp, take a look.

Photo: Marie Iannotti (2008) licensed to About.com, Inc.

Comments

August 21, 2008 at 4:47 pm
(1) george says:

Place a bottle in the hole with the top up and uncapped this will stop all moles

January 11, 2009 at 3:03 pm
(2) Matthew Rongey says:

The best success I have had with getting rid of moles is using the bait and applicator from Mole Bait.

Hope this helps!

September 28, 2010 at 1:14 pm
(3) Eric Everett says:

Moles were a nightmare for us until we brought home a Maine Coon Cat….this incredible hunter leaves us a mole a day on the back patio and we have not had to use poison, traps, etc. On top of that, he is just the best cat we ever had the pleasure to have known. Quiet, clean and HUGE!

This morning , after he spent the night outside, we had four- yes, four field mice dead on the patio. The big guy was really busy last night! He is not big on birds…too much work, but can pull a mole right out of the ground as he tunnels.

October 1, 2010 at 6:37 am
(4) gardening says:

I’ve heard great things about Coons, but I’ve never seen one. A cat that hunts moles and doesn’t bother with the birds is a true treasure.

I had a cat that would spend hours with her eyes fixed on a mole hole, but she waited until they poked their heads up and that didn’t happen very often.

October 5, 2010 at 8:31 am
(5) Jen says:

Well I no longer have moles in my yard. I have a Elk hound. I can say that I have filled several trenches about the place. It has it’s effect. I have either filled with compost and back seeded or now as I go about the yard I add crocus bulbs. Next spring should be spectaclar. The moles have moved next door and are very happy.

They have no Cat, Dog, or Green thumb. LOL Hapy fall to all.

October 5, 2010 at 12:32 pm
(6) Marie Iannotti says:

You’ve got to love a pet who pitches in and helps in the garden!